Expert Meeting on Border and Migration Management in Emergency Situations
The meeting was devoted to emergency situations caused by natural or manmade disasters which have resulted in mass migration and involved large numbers of vulnerable migrants. A special focus was on the issues related to the management of mass migration from war-stricken regions.
The aim of the meeting was to present tools, mechanisms and best practices which provide for the balance between the facilitation of movement, protection of those who cross the borders in emergencies and the security of the national borders.
The discussion was structured around the following issues:
- national and international legal framework in relation to emergency situations,
- the activities of the organizations and persons implementing/applying the legislation,
- infrastructural and technical conditions to provide security for the borders and safety for the migrants,
- financing of border and migration management systems, and
- cooperation among relevant stakeholders involved in the management of emergency situations.